Similarities between social and SEO
- A focus on content: content is king when it comes to SEO, but the same is true for social media marketing. If people don’t like content on your website, they’re not going to link to it. And if people don’t like what you’re tweeting, pinning or posting, they’re not going to share it.
- Inbound techniques: social media and SEO are both inbound techniques. They rely on pulling your audience in and earning their trust instead of shoving your products and services in their face.
- Sharing is key: links from other sites (inbound links) have been the strongest ranking factor for years. The equivalent to inbound links for social media is having people share your social media posts with their followers.
- Authority: SEO and social media are both about gaining authority. Most of the top sites that rank highly in competitive industries are the ones that are seen as authorities. The top brands on social media are authorities and the top people in their niche.
What’s important to SEO and how it translates to social
|SEO – What’s important||Social – How it translates|
|Domain and page level link features.||People sharing your social media posts with their audience.|
|Page level keywords and content based features.||Using relevant keywords and hashtags in your social media posts.|
|Page level keyword-agnostic features||Making your social media profile/bio relevant to your industry with keywords and phrases.|
|Engagement and traffic data||How people are engaging with your brand on social media (replies, comments, etc)|
|Domain level brand metrics||People mentioning your brand outside of social media in blogs, news and other outlets.|
How to improve SEO with SMM
Earn inbound links
You can start getting inbound links from social media by:
- @mentioning people in your social media posts.
- Sharing your own content at the optimal times.
- Creating shareable content – lists, round-up posts and guides.
Social profiles in search engine results pages (SERPs)
To fill up the first page of the SERPs with your social media profiles, you should:
- Make a Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Youtube page. They tend to rank the highest.
- Create a strong profile/bio and be active.
- Link to your social profiles from your website.
Still in early stages, but here’s what you can do to start capitalizing on it right now:
- Focus on building your following on Google+.
- Share your blog posts and other content on Google+.
- Include relevant keywords in all of your social media posts.
Search engines index social media posts
Tips for getting your social media posts indexed in search engines:
- Make sure you select the option to index your posts in search engines.
- Post about trending topics to potentially have your Tweets show up in the news section.
- Specify your social profiles to Google.
Get trending on social media
Generating a large buzz on social media can be difficult, but here are some steps you can take to get started:
- Focus on creating and sharing amazing content.
- Brand any images and graphics with your website URL/company name.
- Encourage people to Retweet, like and comment on your posts.
Infographic courtesy of Sproutsocial.
More Interesting Content